Big Easy Italian Salad is part leafy green salad and part antipasto salad. Dressed in our Creamy Italian Salad Dressing which makes the flavor pop it’s the perfect side salad and can hold it’s own as a dinner salad paired with some warm crusty bread.
This Big Italian Salad will change the way you think about salad! It’s so versatile too, eat it as is or toss in more of your favorite ingredients. Plus you’re making the dressing which is superior to any bottled brand you could possibly buy. No preservatives or stabilizers needed, just fast fresh dressing that’s perfect for this salad and many more.
Chef’s Tips: Be sure after washing your lettuce that it’s thoroughly dry using a salad spinner or clean kitchen towels (non-terry). Wet lettuce turns wimpy fast and nobody likes a wimpy wet salad. Drain the artichoke hearts and hearts of palm well too.
Read on to learn for yourself how quickly this salad comes together and how to make our super-simple homemade Creamy Italian Salad Dressing that you’re going to want to put on everything!
Yes, just follow a few tips and your salad will be perfect!
- To make the salad ahead of time be sure to tear the leaves of the lettuces and radicchio, cutting lettuce (or herbs for that matter) accelerates bruising and wilting of the leaves.
- Once all of your lettuce is prepped cover with a damp paper towel and then with cling wrap, store in the fridge up to 24 hours.
- Toss in the remaining ingredients just before serving.
- And of course, if you’re prepping this salad recipe in advance, don’t add the dressing until you’re ready to serve or the salad will be wimpy.
How to Make Creamy Italian Salad Dressing
Creamy Italian Salad Dressing just takes a few minutes and a few ingredients. It can be stored in your fridge for up to 2 weeks, so it’s perfect if you need to make quick weeknight salads!
Not only is this creamy dressing quick to make it’s also made with easy to find ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry.
- fresh garlic
- red wine vinegar (you can sub champagne vinegar)
- dried oregano
- dried basil
- extra virgin olive oil
- pink Himalayan sea salt or Kosher sea salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
Toss the ingredients into the food processor, blitz and serve. It’s that easy! Make it ahead and let the flavors marry in the fridge.
Chef’s Tips: When making the dressing add a pinch of red pepper flakes to add a dash of heat. Also, to mellow the vinegar, add a 1/2 teaspoon to a teaspoon of turbinado sugar. We prefer ours with a little bite so we opt to leave it out but it’s up to you.
What Ingredients Can I Add to an Italian Salad?
One of the things I adore about making this salad is the fact it’s so versatile. You can toss in anything you like to make it your own!
- chick peas
- navy beans
- bell pepper
- fresh basil
- roasted red peppers
Serve with warm crusty bread or as the perfect side salad for any italian meal.
Please Pin Our Recipe to Share With Your Friends!
Like our recipe? Save it for later to your favorite Salad or Healthy Recipe Pinterest Boards. Thank you for helping us grow!
How to Make Big Easy Italian Salad
Big Easy Italian Salad is part leafy green salad and part antipasto salad. Dressed in our Creamy Italian Salad Dressing which makes the flavor pop it's the perfect side salad or can hold it's own as a dinner salad paired with some warm crusty bread.
- 2-3 small garlic cloves, smashed + skinned
- 4 Tablespoons (56 grams) mayonnaise
- 4 Tablespoons (60 ml) red wine vinegar,
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Pink Himalayan Sea Salt or Kosher Sea Salt, finely ground or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Freshly cracked black pepper, or to taste
- 1 large romaine head, washed + spun dry + hand torn
- 1 small head of radicchio, rinsed + halved + cored + thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium head iceberg lettuce, washed + cored + halved + hand torn
- 1 can (220 grams) hearts of palm, drained + sliced into coins
- 1 can (397 grams) artichoke hearts, drained + halved or quartered
- 1/4 cup (90 grams) pitted kalamata olives, whole or halved
- 1/4 cup (90 grams) green olives, whole or halved
- 1 cup (90 grams) parmesan cheese, freshly shredded
Combine ALL ingredients, smashed garlic, mayonnaise, red wine vinegar, dried oregano, dried basil, EVOO, sea salt, and freshly cracked back pepper to the food processor or blender.
Blitz about 30-60 seconds until combined and creamy.
Add the prepped romaine, radicchio, iceberg lettuce, hearts of palm, artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, green olives, creamy Italian dressing (to taste, usually about 1/2 cup) and parmesan cheese. Toss until well mixed.
Serve with dinner or as a meal itself with warm crusty bread.