Pistachio Pudding Cookies are light green gems, roll and bake for any occasion. Soft and buttery with a touch of salty and sweet they melt in your mouth, pack a delicious bite and are a perfect easy Easter Brunch Cookie!
A lovely blend of a traditional wedding cookie and a flaky shortbread. The pistachio pudding adds a rich delicate flavor resulting in layers of flavor that aren’t overly sweet.
Use clear vanilla extract, if possible. Pure vanilla extract can give a brown hue to these lovely green cookies.
Using confectioners sugar in this recipe also keeps the color of the cookies a perfect pistachio green.
Don’t skip chilling the dough, it allows the butter to become solid again and keeps the cookies from spreading out and becoming flat.
You can top your cookies with chopped or whole pistachios if you like and a dusting of powdered sugar too.
Be sure that your cookies have cooled completely. Once cooled then you can roll or dust with powdered sugar. If you use confectioners sugar while cookies are still hot the sugar melts and results is a sweaty looking cookie. Which isn’t appetizing in any manner.
Please Pin Our Recipe to Share with Your Friends!
How to Make Pistachio Pudding Cookies
- 1 cup (227 grams) salted butter, softened
- 1 cup (100 grams) confectioners sugar, divided in half (for dusting after baked)
- 2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract*
- 1 3/4 cups (210 grams) all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1 3.4 oz package pistachio instant pudding mix
- 1 cup Whole or chopped pistachios optional
In a large bowl, with a stand or hand mixer cream butter until smooth. Add in 1/2 cup powdered sugar and beat until fluffy. Add in vanilla and mix until combined.
In another bowl combine flour and dry pudding mix until combined. Gradually add flour mixture into butter mixture until it forms a dough
Empty dough onto wax paper and form a ball. Wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 350°
Remove from the refrigerator and roll 1-inch balls with the chilled dough. Using your thumb or the back of a rounded measuring spoon make an indentation in the center of the cookies.
Place whole or chopped pistachios in the center of the cookies, pressing down slightly so they take hold in the dough.
Place on parchment lined baking sheet and bake in the 350° preheated oven for 6 to 9 minutes.
Remove and let cool at least 20 minutes if dusting with powdered sugar.
- Prep time is approximate.
- Once completely cooled, cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- To ensure they remain soft add an uncooked flour tortilla on the top and bottom of the cookies.